Menu  Triangle Chapter, AWS

 

  American Wine Society logo Triangle Chapter, American Wine Society
Serving Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC, and Vicinity
www.awstriangle.org
American Wine Society logo  

NOTE:
Vaccination or negative COVID test is required
for all indoor tastings!

Map of South Africa

 

The Triangle Chapter of the American Wine Society Presents

“A Taste of South Africa”

 

Sunday, June 12 (New date due to Father’s Day)

3:00 p.m.

Carpenter Wine Cellars

Morrisville NC

Presenter: Andy (from Elephant Corner Wines)

 

The roots of the South African wine industry can be traced to the explorations of the Dutch East India Company, which established a supply station in what is now Cape Town.  A Dutch surgeon, Jan van Riebeeck, was assigned the task of managing the station and planting vineyards to produce wines and grapes that were intended to ward off scurvy amongst sailors during their voyages along the spice route to India and the East.  The first harvest was made on 2 February 1659.  For much of the 20th century, the South African wine industry received minimal international attention.  Its isolation was exacerbated by the boycotts of South African products in protest against the country’s system of Apartheid.  It was not until the 1990s when Apartheid was ended, and the world's export market opened up, that South African wines began to experience a renaissance.  In 1990, less than 30% of all the grapes harvested were used for wine production with the remaining 70% being distilled into brandy, sold as table grapes and juice, or discarded.  By 2003, the numbers had been reversed with more than 70% of the grapes harvested that year reaching the consumer market as wine.  Today, South African wines are celebrated world-wide as among the best in the world!

 

About Elephants Corner Wines:  Sawubona, a warm welcome to Elephants Corner Wines!  We offer and distribute an array of premier South African blends.  Our mission is to help you explore South Africa through it's many creative and talented wines.  Elephants Corner encompasses two partners, an expert in wine and a native African safari specialist who share a passion for some of the world’s best wine.  They are proud to represent an expanding portfolio of “grower wines;” wines that respect the land and culture of the Western Cape, that are vegan-friendly and offer unique experiences from the glass to your tastebuds  From a young Sauvignon Blanc, to an old bush-vine Cinsault, from traditional Huguenot style Cabernets to the indigenous Pinotage, every wine offered by Elephant Corner Wines showcases the talented wine makers and the incredibly diverse climate and terroir of the Western Cape.

 

So join the Triangle AWS for “A Taste of South Africa.” 

 

We have resumed our regular tasting protocols and Carpenter Wine Cellars has agreed to allow members to bring food to this event for the after tasting social.  NO OUTSIDE WINE please!  Please bring a food dish to share with everyone after the tasting unless you are still adhering to COVID protocols and do not plan to share in the after tasting socializing.

             

Registration Deadline:
Seating Limit:
Registration Fee:
Payment Options: ***Please note we have a new Treasurer. Please use caution to send your reservation to the correct email address.*** 
Pay
by
Check
Email Melissa Porter at melissaknopf@hotmail.com to inform her you have sent a check. Check should be received within 3 business days
Send check (payable to Triangle Chapter AWS) to:
Melissa Porter
5216 Barton View Court
Raleigh, NC 27615
Pay
via
PayPal
  1. Log into your account at PayPal.com, select "Pay or send money," and choose sending money to friends and family (DO NOT choose paying for goods or services).
  2. Enter the recipient's email address information (melissaknopf@hotmail.com) and name (Melissa Porter) and click "Next."
  3. Enter the amount (as specified above!) and click "Continue."
  4. Select Payment Method of choice.  If paying directly from your bank account or using PayPal balance, it is free.  If you pay with a credit card you get charged a small fee.  Confirm your payment details and click "Send Money Now."

We look forward to seeing you there!

 

separator

American Wine Society

American Wine Society, Triangle Chapter
Lisa Tillis,  Secretary
www.awstriangle.org