The following process, implemented in January 2009 by the Board,
ensures that everyone gets an equal opportunity to register for our tastings,
regardless if you are a guest, member, or even a board member.
- Reservations for each tasting are confirmed solely by "check in hand."
No verbal or email reservations will be accepted.
- No reservations can be made prior to the emailing of the event
- The event announcement email will be sent out approximately two weeks
prior to the event date.
- The posting of the event on the website may be delayed several days to
give chapter members an advantage for signups. (A benefit of being a member
of our chapter.)
- When the event is full or nearing capacity, an announcement to this effect
will be posted on the website.
- People are allowed to communicate with the Secretary by phone or email to
see if the event is full, but only receipt of their check will confirm their
- Most events are open to members and guests, but a few tastings may be
reserved for members only. Members get several days advance notice
over guests for event registration.
- Directions to the tasting will be sent out to confirmed attendees
typically on the Wednesday before the event. Emails may also be sent out to
confirm registration and the WEB site tasting announcement will list the
registered members in abbreviated form for privacy purposes.
- If a Triangle AWS chapter MEMBER is unable to drink wine at a given
tasting (e.g., temporarily taking medication incompatible with alcohol
consumption) but would still like to enjoy the educational and social
aspects of the gathering, he/she may be able to attend (space permitting)
for a nominal fee, generally $5, to help cover expenses and offset the
income that would otherwise be used to purchase wine. No non-drinking
discount is available to guests. (Updated Sept 2013)
- CANCELLATION POLICY: You may cancel without forfeiting your
payment if you do so by the registration due date. After that date, the
money will have been committed for wine and cannot be refunded. You may,
however, send someone in your place.
Many of our tastings are held at members' homes, with a typical
maximum capacity of 24 people. Occasionally we can use a clubhouse, wine
store, or other venue with a larger capacity.
When we hold our events anywhere that sells wine (as we do
occasionally), we are unable to bring in our own wine to share after the
tasting, and ovens to heat food are rare. For insurance reasons, we are
unable to hold tastings at non-members' homes.
We maintain two mailing lists: Members and Guests.
Members are people who have paid the current year's membership in the
national American Wine Society, live in the Triangle area, and have registered
our triangle chapter as either their first or second preference on the AWS
national WEB site. Guests are either non-members of AWS who have
expressed interest in being notified of our monthly tastings
or AWS members that have not declared the triangle chapter as their first or
second preference on the national AWS WEB site. Non-AWS guests may attend up to
three tastings before being required to join national AWS to continue to attend.
Previous members of AWS are not eligible to attend as guests, though they may
choose to stay on the guest list to keep up with what we are doing. On
rare occasions, an event may be restricted to members only.
To join our guest list or be dropped from it, see the link on
the main page.